Saturday, December 31, 2016

Bought: CL, HRL, MDT, VFC

Today marks the end of 2016.  While there seems to have been many celebrity deaths this year and an "interesting" presidential election, this was a good year for me.  I paid off my mortgage, welcomed a second child into the family, and was still able to invest a decent amount of capital into dividend stocks.  With the increase in interest rates and a new president elect, it will be interesting to see where the stock market goes in 2017.  Either way, I'm looking forward to the new year.  Cheers!

Below is a summary of my recent purchases for the month of December:
  • I purchased 17 shares of Colgate-Palmolive Company (CL) at $66.485 per share in my spouse's Roth IRA account.  This is a dividend yield of 2.35%, adding $26.52 to my non-taxable dividend income.
  • I purchased 33 shares of Hormel Foods Corporation (HRL) at $33.79 per share in my spouse's Roth IRA account.  This is a dividend yield of 2.01%, adding $22.44 to my non-taxable dividend income.
  • I purchased 14 shares of Medtronic plc (MDT) at $71.40 per share in my taxable brokerage account.  This is a dividend yield of 2.41%, adding $24.08 to my taxable dividend income.
  • I purchased 19 shares of V.F. Corporation (VFC) at $53.469 per share in my taxable brokerage account.  This is a dividend yield of 3.14%, adding $31.92 to my taxable dividend income.
After these purchases, my non-taxable dividend income will increase by $48.96, and my taxable dividend income will increase by $56.

What do you think of my recent stock purchases?  Do you own any of the same companies?

7 comments:

  1. Awesome job. A 100.00 a year increase. Keep it up. Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dividendsandhobbies,

      Happy New Year and thanks! As long as I'm growing that dividend income, I'm happy. I'm just looking forward to the day when my passive income can cover all my living expenses.

      Thanks for stopping by and commenting.

      Delete
  2. I have to say that I can get behind each of these buys. Nice job. I like HRL a lot and would love to add to my portfolio. Just wish that current yield was a little higher though. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Keith,

      I wish that HRL's yield was higher too, but I figure initiating a position at 2% is pretty decent considering it's usually yielding under 2%. The dividend growth rate is pretty good so I figure that will more than make up for the lower yield in the long run, especially if I plan to hold forever.

      Thanks for stopping by and commenting.

      Delete
  3. I have some VFC; hopefully I've managed to buy low because it isn't increasing quickly. Still that yield is good and I think the company is solid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi RAnn,

      Glad to know another fellow shareholder of VFC. At its current share price in the low $50's, I believe it's trading at a great valuation. A 3% yield for a solid company like VFC is a great deal.

      Thanks for stopping by and commenting.

      Delete
  4. Usually information that numerous time a recorded house may take months or longer to offer. There are the requests that a purchaser will make when posting or doing the available to be purchased by proprietor course. https://www.investorsindubai.org/

    ReplyDelete