Thursday, August 17, 2017

Bought: GIS, GPC, K, VZ

July was a month that saw a dip in the stock market, so I decided to capitalize on the opportunity to initiate some new positions as well as add to existing ones.  I've been making multiple purchases in smaller amounts to diversify, initiate new positions to diversify, and average down my cost basis in various companies.  The purchases have been in smaller amounts because I've also been trying to save up money for a potential large expense that may come up in the near future.  I believe that by the end of this month, I should have the minimum cash reserve I need to account for the large expense.  After that, I can begin aggressively buying up stocks in larger amounts to try to reach financial independence as quickly as possible.

In any case, see below for my purchases for the month of July:
  • I purchased 10 shares of General Mills (GIS) at $54.20 per share in my taxable brokerage account.  This is a dividend yield of 3.62%, adding $19.60 to my taxable dividend income.
  • I purchased 5 shares of Genuine Parts Company (GPC) at $84 per share in my taxable brokerage account.  This is a dividend yield of 3.21%, adding $13.50 to my taxable dividend income.
  • I purchased 10 shares of Kellogg Company (K) at $67.53 per share in my taxable brokerage account.  This is a dividend yield of 3.20%, adding $21.60 to my taxable dividend income.
  • I purchased 10 shares of Verizon (VZ) at $44.60 per share in my taxable brokerage account.  This is a dividend yield of 5.18%, adding $23.10 to my taxable dividend income.
After these purchases, my taxable dividend income will increase by $77.80.

What do you think of my July stock purchases?  Do you own any of the same companies?

4 comments:

  1. Good acquisitions. I particularly like Kellog and General Mills at these price levels, will definitely keep an eye on these companies.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Financial Shaper,

      I've been trying to initiate new positions as well as average down my cost basis on existing positions in small increments at a time. K and GIS have been pretty beaten down recently so I figure it's a good time to pick up some shares in these companies.

      Thanks for stopping by and commenting.

      Delete
  2. Sticking with those quality names and consistent buying. I love it. Nice GIS pick up. They are still weak. Never considered K as a consumer staple for my own portfolio. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi DivHut,

      Thanks! I'd rather stick with consistency than try to time the market, especially since luck has never been by my side haha. I'm just going to keep slowly picking up small positions in companies with decent dividend track records throughout the year. I believe it's a more conservative and safe way to achieve my goal of reaching financial independence sooner.

      Thanks for stopping by and commenting.

      Delete