Friday, January 5, 2018

Monthly Report: December 2017

I post an update every month on the taxable dividend income I receive in my brokerage accounts, the non-taxable dividends I receive from my Roth IRA accounts, the market value of my taxable brokerage accounts, the market value of my Roth IRA accounts, the market value of my 401(k) account, and my savings rate.

Below is the monthly report as of December 31, 2017:

Taxable Dividend Income (Total: $793.70)
  • 3M Company (MMM) - $5.98
  • Bank of America Corporation (BAC) - $15.65 (Increased 61.34% YOY)
  • Chevron Corporation (CVX) - $12.23 (Increased 0.91% YOY)
  • The Coca-Cola Company (KO) - $20.87 (Increased 1.31% YOY)
  • Consolidated Edison, Inc. (ED) - $118.87 (Increased 6.24% YOY)
  • Dominion Resources, Inc. (D) - $3.96
  • Emerson Electric Co. (EMR) - $26.82 (Increased 4.03% YOY)
  • Exxon Mobil Corporation (XOM) - $30.79 (Increased 54.34% YOY)
  • Johnson & Johnson (JNJ) - $8.56 (Increased 1.78% YOY)
  • Kellogg Company (K) - $16.24 (Increased 2,852.73% YOY)
  • The Kraft Heinz Company (KHC) - $12.50 (Increased 13,788.89% YOY)
  • McDonald's Corp. (MCD) - $117.39 (Increased 9.31% YOY)
  • Microsoft Corporation (MSFT) - $254.08 (Increased 10.18% YOY)
  • Pfizer Inc. (PFE) - $18.43 (Increased 9.12% YOY)
  • Realty Income Corporation (O) - $6.16 (Increased 6.39% YOY)
  • Southern Company (SO) - $16.20 (Increased 7.86% YOY)
  • Target Corp. (TGT) - $54.79 (Increased 64.98% YOY)
  • Time Inc. (TIME) - $0.04 (Decreased 80.95% YOY)
  • V.F. Corporation (VFC) - $18.34 (Increased 376.36% YOY)
  • Walgreens Boots Alliance, Inc. (WBA) - $10.00
  • W.W. Grainger, Inc. (GWW) - $25.80
    • Total taxable dividend income of $793.70 increased 28.47% YOY.
New positions I added fresh capital to this year are D, GWW, MMM, and WBA.  Existing positions I added fresh capital to this year are K, TGT, VFC, and XOM.  All other dividend increases are from dividends reinvested and dividend raises from the companies.  TIME cut its dividend so that's a bummer, but TIME is also a company in my portfolio as a result of my parents purchasing AOL for me many years ago.  Overall, I'm very happy with the total year over year dividend increase.

You can see a schedule of all the taxable dividends I have received here.

Non-Taxable Dividend Income (Total: $1,939.17)
  • 3M Company (MMM) - $8.37
  • Archer-Daniels-Midland Company (ADM) - $12.11 (Increased 9.69% YOY)
  • Chevron Corporation (CVX) - $13.34 (Decreased 1.55%YOY)
  • Emerson Electric Co. (EMR) - $11.42 (Increased 4.20% YOY)
  • Exxon Mobil Corporation (XOM) - $9.50 (Increased 1.93% YOY)
  • Kellogg Company (K) - $8.22
  • Target Corp. (TGT) - $10.24 (Increased 6.67% YOY)
  • Unilever plc (UL) - $11.97
  • V.F. Corporation (VFC) - $8.46 (Increased 11.90% YOY)
  • W.W. Grainger, Inc. (GWW) - $6.50
  • Vanguard Health Care Fund Investor Shares (VGHCX) - $1,457.35
  • Vanguard REIT Index Fund Admiral Shares (VGSLX) - $381.69 (Decreased 21.77% YOY)
    • Total non-taxable dividend income of $301.16 increased 12.55% YOY.
New positions I added fresh capital to this year are GWW, K, and MMM.  CVX had a YOY decrease due to the partial shares being liquidated when I consolidated brokerage accounts.  VGSLX had a YOY decrease as well, but the distributions are entirely up to the fund managers.  This is one of the annoying things about mutual funds; because the distributions are based on the fund managers' discretion, they fluctuate so it's difficult to get a reliable estimate of the amount of distributions expected to be received from year to year.  However, I don't want to sell these mutual funds since I want some diversification in case my individual stock picking skills don't pan out as well as I'd like.  All other dividend increases are from dividends reinvested and dividend raises from the companies.  Overall, I'm very happy with the total year over year dividend increase.

You can see a schedule of all the non-taxable dividend income I have received here.

Market Values (Total: $508,071.57)
  • Brokerage Accounts - $153,138.46 (Increased 2.41% from prior month)
  • Roth IRA - $90,679.21 (Increased 0.86% from prior month)
  • 401(k) - $264,253.90 (Increased 1.53% from prior month)
    • Total market value increased 1.67% from prior month.
I'm not too concerned with the market value of my taxable brokerage accounts since the investment strategy with that is solely to generate a growing stream of dividend income.  As long as the dividends keep coming and are increasing, I'm not too worried.  Nevertheless, it's still interesting to see how it is performing.

You can see a schedule of the market values for my brokerage accounts, Roth IRA account, and 401(k) account as of the end of every month here.

Savings Rate
  • 0%
Savings rate was terrible for this month as I had no savings.  I actually had to slightly tap into my emergency savings, but I can explain why.  The two main reasons I had no savings this month was because I spent a decent chunk of money on vacation, and also because I decided to pay my first and second quarter real estate taxes for 2018 this month.  Due to the new tax law changes signed by our president, I decided to accelerate my real estate tax payments due 2018 in 2017.  I think this is the right move for our family so I'm ok with not having any savings this month.

You can see a schedule of my savings rate by month here.

How did you do this month?

5 comments:

  1. I think paying the taxes early was a pretty smart move. Might as well get the tax deduction that's not going to be as easy to get going forward. Congrats on such a high level of passive income.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris Earn Money In Pajamas,

      Thanks! Like you said, I figured I'd get the tax deduction for the real estate taxes in 2017 since I might not be able to take the deduction going forward.

      My passive income is still not enough to cover my expenses, but as long as I'm progressing in the right direction, I'm very happy about that.

      Thanks for stopping by and commenting.

      Delete
  2. Nice dividends! I used to own VGHCX and VNQ. With the uncertainity associated with healthcare ... VGHCX has not performed well for me. I ended up selling my position. Additionally, it used to pay yearly dividends ... did not tie in well with my dividend strategy. My father still owns VGHCX. Prepaying property tax was definitely a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi dividendgeek 2045,

      Thanks for sharing your thoughts. For me, I believe healthcare will always be around and is pretty recession proof. I actually regret not buying VGHCX years ago. I had thought about buying it many years ago and I decided to buy other mutual funds instead. It has a pretty good 10 year rate of return, one of the highest out of the other Vanguard funds I believe. But yes, it seems to only pay yearly dividends. For me, I still want to have holdings in mutual funds as a hedge in case my individual stock picking skills don't do as well as I hope. This way, I still have some money set aside in funds that are managed by "professionals."

      Thanks for stopping by and commenting.

      Delete
  3. LE-MERIDIAN FUNDING SERVICES. We are directly into pure loan and project(s) financing in terms of investment. We provide financing solutions to private/companies seeking access to funds in the capital markets i.e. oil and gas, real estate, renewable energy, Pharmaceuticals, Health Care, transportation, construction, hotels and etc. We can finance up to the amount of $900,000,000.000 (Nine Hundred Million Dollars) in any region of the world as long as our 1.9% ROI can be guaranteed on the projects.
    Le-Meridian Funding Service -Email info@lemeridianfds.com.
    lfdsloans@outlook.com
    (WhatsApp...+1-989-3943-740 Or Call +1-913-9518-145)

    ReplyDelete