Sunday, February 26, 2017

Monthly Report: January 2017

I post an update every month on the taxable dividend income I receive in my brokerage accounts, the non-taxable dividends I receive from my Roth IRA accounts, the market value of my taxable brokerage accounts, the market value of my Roth IRA accounts, the market value of my 401(k) account, and my savings rate.

Below is the monthly report as of January 31, 2017:

Taxable Dividend Income (Total: $41.38)
  • Bank of America Corporation (BAC) - $9.70
  • Dr Pepper Snapple Group, Inc. (DPS) - $0.20 (Increased 66.67% YOY)
  • Kimberly-Clark Corporation (KMB) - $9.69 (Increased 7.43% YOY)
  • Pepsi, Inc. (PEP) - $0.91 (Increased 54.24% YOY)
  • Realty Income Corporation (O) - $5.83 (Increased 10.42% YOY)
  • Wal-Mart Stores Inc. (WMT) - $15.05 (Increased 8.04% YOY)
    • Total taxable dividend income of $41.38 increased 42.54% YOY.
All dividend increases are from dividends reinvested and dividend raises from the companies.   I'm very happy with the total year over year dividend increase.

You can see a schedule of all the taxable dividends I have received here.

Non-Taxable Dividend Income (Total: $120.53)
  • Automatic Data Processing, Inc. (ADP) - $6.84
  • Medtronic plc (MDT) - $6.02
  • Pepsi, Inc. (PEP) - $8.28
  • Vanguard Long-Term Bond Index Fund (VBLTX) - $99.39 (Increased 1.72% YOY)
    • Total non-taxable dividend income of $120.53 increased 23.35% YOY.
ADP, MDT, and PEP were new positions added last year with the first dividend payments received in the month of January.  I'm very happy with the total year over year dividend increase.

You can see a schedule of all the non-taxable dividend income I have received here.

Market Values (Total: $386,163.15)
  • Brokerage Accounts - $101,228.30 (Increased 3.92% from prior month)
  • Roth IRA - $74,718.90 (Increased 3.17% from prior month)
  • 401(k) - $210,215.95 (Increased 2.72% from prior month)
    • Total market value increased by 3.12% from prior month.
I'm not too concerned with the market value of my taxable brokerage accounts since the investment strategy with that is solely to generate a growing stream of dividend income.  As long as the dividends keep coming and are increasing, I'm not too worried.  Nevertheless, it's still interesting to see how it is performing.

You can see a schedule of the market values for my brokerage accounts, Roth IRA account, and 401(k) account as of the end of every month here.

Savings Rate
  • 44.26%
I'm very happy with the savings rate for this month.  My savings rate target in 2016 was 20%, which I exceeded in every month except for October, so overall my savings rate exceeded my goal.  This year I am increasing my savings rate target from 20% to 25%, so I think I'm off to a pretty good start.

You can see a schedule of my savings rate by month here.

How did you do this month?

6 comments:

  1. Fantastic. Looks like you're doing really well for yourself. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Buy, Hold Long,

      Thanks! I hope I can continue this upward climb as quickly as possible so that I won't have to depend on my job for a living.

      Thanks for stopping by and commenting.

      Delete
  2. Looks like you are doing all the right things. A great start to the year with very impressive year over year gains. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Keith,

      Thanks! I like looking at the year over year gains as I think that's a very real way of measuring progress.

      Thanks for stopping by and commenting.

      Delete
  3. Its crazy that the Bull market hasn't slowed down and we are growing 2-3% month over month.

    Btw, you have a type here "Total market value decreased by 3.12% from prior month." should be increased, right? hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dividends 4 Future,

      I know what you mean... I have been asking myself recently whether I should build up cash until there's a nice pullback or to keep investing money into this stock market that keeps climbing higher and higher.

      Thanks for pointing out the typo; I will make the correction.

      Thanks for stopping by and commenting.

      Delete